Garbage Island? The Great Garbage Patch.

 

Background information of the great pacific garbage patch

  • ›The patch is located in central North Pacific Ocean
  • ›The patch contains high relative concentration of pelagic plastic.
  • ›Despite its enormous size and density (4 particles per cubic meter) the path is not visible from satellite.
  • ›Also not detectable to boaters because it consists primarily of a small increase in suspended particles.

https://i2.wp.com/marinedebris.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/GPmap_2012_NOAAMDP.jpg?resize=527%2C335

Discovery

  • ›The Great Pacific Garbage patch was predicted in 1988 by the National Oceanic and atmospheric administration (NOAA)

Formation

  • ›The Great pacific garbage patch formed gradually as a result of marine pollution gathered by oceanic currents.
  • ›The Gyre’s rotational patterns draws in waste material from across the nor pacific ocean(including waste from North america and japan)
  • ›As the material get caught in the currents, wind-driven surface currents gradually move floating debris towards the center.
  • ›Its been estimated that 80% of the garbage comes from land based sources and the other 20% from ships
  • ›The size of the patch is unknown
  • ›Most debris are suspended below the surface, making it impossible to detect by satellite.
  • ›The size have been estimated up to twice the size of USA
  • ›Estimated size range from 700,000 square kilometers to 15,000,000 square kilometers.

 

Effect on wildlife and humans

  • ›Some of the Long-lasting plastic end up in the stomach of marine birds and animals.
  • ›Approx 1/3 of the bird’s chicks die due to being fed plastic from their parents.
  • ›On the microscopic level the debris can adsorb organic pollutants such as (PCBs, DDT, and PAH)when ingested these are mistaken by the endocrine system causing hormone disruption in the affected animals.
  • ›Smaller fish can ingest toxic plastic which are then eaten by the larger fish.
  • ›Many of fish are then consumed by humans which results in ingestion of toxic chemicals which can be fatal.
  • ›Research has shown that plastic debris affects at least 267 species world wide including humans.
  • ›On the macroscopic level the physical size of plastic kills, fish, birds, and turtles as the animals digestion can not break down the plastic.
  • ›Macroscopic plastic makes it more difficult for animals to detect their normal food source.

Effect on humans

  • ›As the garbage patch(bacteria/possessions) increase it will spread all over the ocean which can effect human drinking water.
  • ›The garbage patch is getting bigger every year
  • ›If the garbage patch increase every year some of the debris move around the ocean which can have a long term effect on toxic foods

Humans effecting the environment

  • ›Do you know where your plastic go?
  • ›Humans play a big role in polluting the ocean.
  • ›Plastic are everywhere, you use plastic to package food and drinks, most of the plastic ends up in the patch.
  • ›8 in 10 bottles ends up in the patch

 

Research and  clean up

  • ›It is nearly impossible to clean all the debris in the ocean
  • ›If possible it will be beyond the budget and kill many Marie wild life.
  • ›The only solution is to spot dumping plastic and debris in the ocean.
  • ›The patch is not getting any smaller but getting enormously bugger.

Leave a Comment